Asst Head Nurse -Behavioral Health Services
Company: NYC Health + Hospitals Kings County
Posted on: September 22, 2022
About NYC Health + Hospitals Kings County Hospital Center has a
rich legacy for its pioneering role in medicine. Today, with over
625 beds, our hospital remains on the cutting edge of technology
and provides the most modern procedures with state-of-the-art
equipment. Built in 1831 as a one room infirmary for publicly
supported care of the sick, Kings County Hospital Center continues
to be a leading healthcare facility whose mission is to provide
care to everyone regardless of their ability to pay. The hospital
provides a wide range of health services, and specialties are
offered in all fields of modern medicine. More than 200 clinics
provide a wide array of ambulatory care services.Job Description
Shift: II (7:00am-7:30pm) PURPOSE OF POSITION Under the supervision
of the Nurse Manager/Patient care Coordinator, the Assistant Head
Nurse assigned to the Psychiatric division delegates responsibility
to nursing personnel for direct/Indirect care of patients on the
basis of staff qualifications, competency and patient security
levels as delegated by the Head Nurse or In the absence of the Head
Nurse. Coordinates the development, implementation and evaluation
of the nursing regimen provided to the child, adolescent, adult and
geriatric population. AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Determines the level of care required for each patient
according to the Classification Criteria for Psychiatric
- Schedules and assigns nursing personnel to patient care
according to their level of competency.
- Conducts patient related conferences.
- Assists the Head Nurse In supervising, guiding, directing and
instructing nursing personnel in nursing activities related to
- Collaborates with the interdisciplinary treatment in
formulating, implementing and evaluating the plan of patient
- Provides direct, individualized, safe. Appropriate age-specific
nursing care based on physical, psychological, cultural,
educational and nutritional needs of the patient to maintain
continuity of care.
- Performs those duties and responsibilities of the staff nurse,
as noted in the functional job description for the staff
- Submits and completes the supervisor's daily report upon
- Participates in the developmental, review and revision on
nursing policies and procedures.
- Participates In unit/departmental Performance Improvement
- Completes an annual performance evaluation of assigned staff,
according to policy.
- Plans and conducts regularly scheduled staff meetings to
promote open communication, team work, as well as updating the
staff of current events, Issues and information.
- Assists with the orientation of new employees.
- Serves as a role model and clinical resource person for other
- Identifies learning needs of staff and provides recommendations
in meeting these needs.
- Assumes leadership role in managing emergency/crisis situations
(I.e. choking, respiratory arrest, cardiac arrest).
- Maintains the confidentiality and security of data and
information in accordance with Patient's Rights Policies.
- Compiles with KCHC and departmental policies for safety,
quality improvement and infection control.
- Adheres to organizational policy for annual education, annual
assessment and In-service education.
- Maintain professional competency by attending continuing
education programs and other activities consistent with area
clinical practice and the population served. Minimum Qualifications
For individuals holding an unrestricted registered professional
nursing license BEFORE July 1,2020 in New York State, another state
or United States territory:1. A valid New York State license and
current registration to practice as a Registered Professional
Nursein New York State; and2. Valid and current certification in
Basic Life Support (BLS) through the American HeartAssociation
(AHA).For individuals issued a registered professional nursing
license on or AFTER July 1, 2020,based on expected implementation
of Chapter 502 of the Laws of 2017 and Chapter 380 of theLaws of
2018:1. A valid New York State license and current registration to
practice as a Registered ProfessionalNurse in New York State; anda.
A Bachelors of Science degree in Nursing or higher (or other
nursing degree, as identified by NYSEducation Department including
Master of Science in Nursing, Doctor of Nursing Practice, Doctor
ofPhilosophy Degree in Nursing or Doctor of Nursing Science) from
an accredited college oruniversity, registered with the NYSED; orb.
Obtains a Bachelors of Science Degree in Nursing or higher, as
described in a above, within ten(10) years of the date of initial
licensure; and2. Valid and current certification in Basic Life
Support (BLS) through the American Heart Association(AHA). Nurse
Residency Program: Get the support you need to grow and thrive at
NYC Health + Hospitals through our innovativeAll full-time new
hires that are recent graduates or new to their specialties are
automatically enrolled in our 12-month Nurse Residency Program to
assist in the transition to professional nursing practice while
delivering patient care in a clinical environment. The Nurse
Residency Program features interactive sessions, special
educational events, simulations, and group seminars on
evidence-based best practices, decision-making,
conflict-resolution, end-of-life care, health care quality, patient
safety and more. Participants will receive mentorship support,
build relationships with nursing peers and develop leadership
skills. For more information, log into
- Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (BLCS).
- A satisfactory equivalent combination of education, experience
- Demonstrate competence as a nursing practitioner.
- Minimum of six months experience as a Staff Nurse. How To Apply
Please be advised that proof of Covid-19 vaccination is required
prior to hire. If you wish to apply for this position, please apply
online by clicking the " Apply Now " button.Vacancy Control Board
Number VCB #:KIN-02162022-0907
Keywords: NYC Health + Hospitals Kings County, Rockford , Asst Head Nurse -Behavioral Health Services, Healthcare , Rochelle, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!