Manufacturing Engineer II
Company: SPX Flow
Posted on: May 16, 2020
Based in Charlotte, North Carolina, SPX FLOW, Inc. (NYSE: FLOW)
innovates with customers to help feed and enhance the world by
designing, delivering and servicing high value solutions at the
heart of growing and sustaining our diverse communities. The
company's product offering is concentrated in rotating, actuating
and hydraulic technologies, as well as automated process systems,
into food and beverage, industrial and power and energy markets.
SPX FLOW has approximately $2 billion in annual revenues with
operations in more than 30 countries and sales in more than 150
If you combine manufacturing engineering experience with an
emphasis on machining with strong technical aptitude and the
ability to communicate and collaborate with all levels of staff
from the shop floor to site management, the role of Manufacturing
Engineer with SPX FLOW could be your ideal opportunity. In this
role you will:
* Play a key role and enjoy visibility on a talented team of
Manufacturing Engineers and with Design Engineers, shop floor
personnel, the management team and the Site Lead.
* Make an impact as you collaborate with all levels of staff on
changes and influence process improvements resulting in cost
* Expand your skills and experience with Outstanding training and a
variety of interesting projects. Initially, you will integrate into
the tactical work and then begin taking on strategic projects. You
will work on the manufacturability of new/re-designed products,
owning maintenance and improvement needs and looking for strategic
initiatives and process improvements, especially around the
integration of new technology and manufacturing flow.
* Work in a Positive, fast-paced environment with a family-like
atmosphere. People enjoy working here and tend to stay, as
demonstrated by the high number of tenured employees.
Prove yourself in this role and you can continue to advance your
career in our global organization. From this role, you could step
up to a Senior Engineer or management role. Relocation assistance
may be available for an outstanding candidate.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
As Manufacturing Engineer II, you will participate in the
development and maintenance of manufacturing processes and perform
independent evaluation, selection, and application of standard
engineering techniques that contribute to uniform processes at the
lowest possible cost in relation to quality requirements.
Initially, you will support the Johnson Pump line and provide
training with several members of the team. You will spend your time
working with the team on manufacturability of new/re-designed
products, owning maintenance and improvement needs and looking for
strategic initiatives and process improvements, especially around
the integration of new technology or process improvements in
Additionally, you will:
* Establish, document, and maintain process data and procedures as
required ensuring manufacturing and assembly processing practices
to minimize cost while maximizing quality and fitness for use.
* Manage the machine "programming system" for each machine tool,
consisting of part programs, tooling sheets, operational prints,
machine offsets, and tool management to optimize the efficiency of
* Guide and instruct processors and programmers, providing
technical support on tools, fixtures, machinery, and problem part
* Manage the quality system, including customer discrepancies,
non-conforming product, internal PPAP process, and corrective
action as required by the customer.
* Research, recommend, and order new technology equipment. Develop
specifications with suppliers and manage the installation and
training required to successfully begin manufacturing. Justify,
select, and request manufacturing capital equipment based on the
implementation of processes which provide SPX FLOW with a
* Provide guidance to production supervision and coordinate with
Design Engineering to solve production problems.
* Work under minimal supervision, carrying out engineering
assignments of a broad nature while exercising considerable
judgment and originality. Mentor others in the department and act
as project manager on key projects for the business.
* Review new product designs and recommend changes which optimize
the manufacturability and assembly of the product.
* Develop and provide leadership in cost reduction strategies,
increasing manufacturing efficiencies and value analysis projects,
which result in lower production costs.
* Specify and order special tools, fixtures, and manufacturing
drawings. Work with Purchasing and vendors to optimize the quality
and efficiency of our manufacturing process, while providing
flexibility for future growth. Assist the tool room or operators in
the manufacture of fixtures.
* Manage the complete tooling package used on the machine tool,
including standard and special tools, with spreadsheets and
databases. Work with tool vendors to continuously improve the
cutting tools used.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
* Deep understanding of machining, finishing, part handling,
assembly, and test processes; knowledge of CNC programming is a
* A background in methods, tool and cutting technology, and
concepts of fixtures
* Knowledge of tooling geometry and machinability
* Skill and ability to serve as coordinator for process activities
within the team and/or department
* Ability to:
* Analyze a situation and develop a course of action which includes
giving directions and taking action with people from a variety of
* Set up and prove out CNC programs
* Meet all delivery dates and costs targets for new products
* Outstanding analytical thinking skills. Ability to develop new
processes and problem-solve existing processes.
* A process improvement mindset with success in improving process
methods and costs for existing products
* Must have strong interpersonal, communication and collaboration
skills to interact with all levels of staff and management. Ability
to communicate engineering needs or issues with technical or
* Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
* A continuous improvement mindset including strong planning and
* Ability to work effectively in a constantly changing, fast-paced
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
* Bachelor's degree in Engineering
* 5 to 10 years of manufacturing engineering experience in a
manufacturing environment with an emphasis on machining and some
* Exposure to manufacturing technologies and working knowledge on
* Direct experience in participating in and/or leading process
improvement / continuous improvement initiatives and safety
A plus, but not required:
* Knowledge of CNC programming
* Hydraulics experience
* SAP experience preferred
* Regularly required to use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach
with hands and arms and talk or hear.
* Regularly required to lift and/or move objects weighing up to
30kg and occasionally lift and/or move heavier objects.
* Frequently required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch or
SPX Flow is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender
identity, disability or protected veteran status.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled
veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are
unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career
center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation,
contact the Human Resources Department at
Keywords: SPX Flow, Rockford , Manufacturing Engineer II, Engineering , Rockford, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!