PATIENT FINANCIAL COUNSELOR 1, REGISTRATION, ROCKTON, DAYS, 80HRS/2WKS
Posted on: March 25, 2020
Mercyhealth is committed to offering our partners a best place
to work and continually evaluates new programs and benefits. We
have been recognized locally, regionally and nationally for helping
our workers achieve a work/life balance through benefit offerings
and innovative programs.Our unique workplace Culture of Excellence
is built upon:
- Employee engagement, empowerment and growth
- Teamwork toward our common goal providing exceptional health
care services with a passion for making lives better
- An atmosphere of caring and quality that cascades throughout
the organizationDepartment/Skill highlights
- Location: Javon Bae Hospital Rockton Avenue CampusEssential
Duties and Responsibilities
- Follow and administer all Mercyhealth financial policies and
- Meet with patients face to face or via telephone to counsel
patients/customers on billing concerns, account balances, services
costs/estimates and various insurance resources.
- Communicate with physicians, patient care staff and
hospital/clinic reception regarding out of network insurance status
and other patient billing/ insurance issues.
- Navigate the billing system and review patient accounts for
accuracy. Initiates appropriate follow-up with patient, billing
department, coding department, and insurance companies to ensure
payment for services.
- Maintain a knowledge base of programs offered through the
government, the insurance marketplace, and the Mercy Community Care
program. Screens self-pay patients for presumptive eligibility for
Medicaid and performs necessary follow-up to ensure coverage is in
- Initiates appropriate follow-up with patients, insurance
companies or billing department to ensure payment for
- Establish payment plans with patients and follow up on broken
- Educate patients and other Mercy partners on payment guidelines
- Monitor patient Work queues and resolve outstanding balance
issues. Contacts patients with self-pay balances to collect payment
and/or set payment arrangements
- Responsible for meeting Patient Access department guidelines
for daily patient contact, collection goals, and department
- Research denied claims through review of system/account/process
to reconcile information.
- Performs insurance verification and pre-certification
activities for procedures when necessary.
- Records and maintains thorough documentation of activities
performed and patient conversations on the patients.
- Works closely with ER/Urgent Care staff to facilitate patient
care during periods of EPIC Downtime.
- Works with nursing staff to provide taxi vouchers and payment
for taxi services for patients.
- Responsible for maintaining an accurate cash drawer.
- Responsible for closing and balancing cash drawer at the end of
- Works workqueues to resolve registration errors thus allowing
patient bills to process in a timely manner.
- Responds to all incoming correspondence and telephone
- Escorts patients/visitors to the correct area.
- Must be able to push patient in a wheelchair.Education and
- Graduate of high school or equivalent
- One year customer service and/or collections experience
- Knowledge of reimbursement practices for commercial and
government payers preferred
- Medical terminology preferred Special Physical DemandsThe
Special Physical Demands are considered Essential Job Functions of
the position with or without reasonable accommodations.While
performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly
required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with
hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl;
and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit and
work at a computer for long periods of time. The employee is
occasionally required to stand. Specific vision abilities required
by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision,
peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust
focus.While performing the duties of this job, the employee must
have good manual dexterity to operate keyboard and telephone;
repetitive finger/wrist movement associated with use of keyboard;
prolonged sitting. The employee must be able to lift or move office
Keywords: Mercyhealth, Rockford , PATIENT FINANCIAL COUNSELOR 1, REGISTRATION, ROCKTON, DAYS, 80HRS/2WKS, Accounting, Auditing , Rockford, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!